The School, which has recently been extended and refurbished, provides comfortable living and working space for around 35 artists and scholars in large modern studio apartments and study bedrooms, all with computer facilities, laid out around a shady central courtyard. Italian-style meals are served in the dining-hall. There is a fine research library, and gardens with a tennis court. A lift and a stair-lift make almost all parts of the School wheelchair accessible.
The School is a community of artists and scholars who work independently and yet value the opportunity to meet and interact with each other. There is considerable contact between the British School and other similar establishments in Rome.
The New Reading Room
E.A. Abbey gets a facelift
In 1911, Sir Edwin Lutyens designed the British Pavilion for the Rome Exhibition of that year. It was so much admired that the land it stood on was offered to the British authorities on condition that the building should remain. After considerable alterations and rebuilding, the pavilion became the permanent home of the British School.
The British School at Rome has always been a renowned interdisciplinary research centre with Faculties of Fine Arts (including architecture) and of the Humanities - archaeology, history and letters.
The British School in Rome was founded in 1901, principally as a centre for archaeological research. It received its Royal Charter in 1912, based on a constitution drawn up by the 1851 Commissioners (who administered the funds resulting from the Great Exhibition) and the Presidents of the Royal Academy and the RIBA. The Faculty of Archaeology, History and Letters was the original core of the School, but in addition there was to be a Faculty of Arts covering Architecture, Sculpture and Painting. The Rome Prizes in Architecture, Painting and Sculpture were established at this time.